For many, June is considered the month of summer, barbecue season starts and the summer wardrobe is reappearing. In fact did you know September has, according to weather watchers, more summer ‘sun’ days than June? As I write this I believe them. We have just had a little rain shower which is a welcoming addition to my garden.
Regardless of whether it is beautiful sunshine or a few rain showers helping a child improve their handwriting can be achieved anytime, anywhere. The key is to do it ‘little and often’. Keep it meaningful, educational and interesting.
What can my child write about?
If you are looking for one quick handwriting practice activity, then here it is my June handwriting ideas. How about writing this month in as many different languages as possible? I’m starting you off with six here:
- Spanish: En junio
- Italian: Giugno
- French: Juin
- German: Juni
- Polish: Czerwiec
- Latin: Junius
Alternatively, here are 10 other June handwriting ideas by date for you:
- 5th June 1883. The first regular scheduled Orient Express train left Paris for Vienna. How many major cities or capitals can your child name in 30 seconds?
- 9th June 2006. Disney’s ‘Cars’ film was releasing. Looking out of a window, how many cars can your child see? Can they write their colour and make?
- 11th June 1509. Henry VIII of England married Catherine of Aragon. What does your child know about Henry VIII? Furthermore, could they write a paragraph about him?
- 12th June 1942. Anne Frank received a diary for her 13th birthday. What diary entry could your child be writing about today?
- 15th June 1752. Benjamin Franklin proved that lightning is electricity. Name 3 natural ways we are using the earth to create energy today.
- 19th June 1846. The first official recording of a basketball game occurred. Write 10 team sports.
- 20th June 1837. Queen Victoria came to the British throne. How many members of the British royal family can your child write? Answers can allow past and present members.
- 24th June 1916. Mary Pickford became the first female film star to sign a million dollar contract. I know that was in 1916! Write a film review of the last film they saw or of their favourite film?
- 25th June 1949. Bugs Bunny was first shown in a cartoon. The film was called ‘Long Haired Hare’. How many words be made from these 3 words? For example gone, air, liar etc.
- 26th June 1906. The first Grand Prix motor racing event was held in France. How many countries can your child name that hold a Grand Prix today?
I hope you and your child have fun completing these June handwriting ideas.
Happy summer to you all and I hope you enjoy your barbecues in the garden.