Schools out and the summer is beginning across most of the world. I know for some pupils in the UK they have to wait to nearly the end of July. However eventually they join the rest of us thinking holidays. Yippeee. What a relief. The fun times are starting.
On the other hand you may not be concerning yourself about the holidays. Perhaps you are thinking what if your child forgets everything? I can assure this will not happen however a refresher is a great idea. No one wants to be playing catch up in the first few weeks of term. Keep your child engaged with a little handwriting practice using these July handwriting ideas.
What can my child write about?
In truth anything but for real handwriting success it has to have some meaning. Boring repetitive work helps no one.
If you are looking for quick handwriting practice activities, then here are two of my general July handwriting ideas.
- The flower for July is a Water Lily. How many flowers can your child name in a 30 second timescale?
- The natural birthstone for July is ruby. The only natural gemstone that is harder than a ruby is a diamond. Putting the letters from ruby and diamond together, how many words can your child make from these letters?
Alternatively, here are 9 other July handwriting ideas by date for you:
- 1st July 1903. The Tour de France first started – what can your child write about this event?
- 4th July 1776. The United States’ Declaration of Independence was adopted. How many words can your child make up from the word ‘independence’?
- 5th July 2012. The Shard in London was inaugurated as the tallest building in Europe, with a height of 1,020 ft. How many other London landmarks can your child name?
- 9th July 1877. The inaugural Wimbledon Tennis Championships began at the All England Club. How many tennis players can your child name and write?
- 14th July 1969. The United States’ $500, $1,000, $5,000 and $10,000 bills were officially withdrawn from circulation. Using the currency in your own country, write down all the coins and notes available?
- 15th July 2006. Twitter was launched. 140 characters could say a lot. Can your child write a sentence using less than 140 characters?
- 17th July 1955. Disneyland was opened by Walt Disney in Anaheim, California. This was the original Disneyland. How many Disney characters can your child write down in 30 seconds?
- 26th July 2016. Hillary Clinton became the first female nominee for President of the United States by a major political party at the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia. How many leading female figures can your child name in 1 minute?
- 27th July 1999. Tony Hawk landed the first ‘900’ on a skateboard (two-and-a-half complete revolutions) at the fifth annual X Games in San Francisco, California. What other sporting games allow you to do turns? Write down as many as you can.
I hope you and your child have fun completing these July handwriting ideas.
Have a lovely sunny summer and stay cool, if you can.