I find August one of those funny months. For my friends in America, it is a time of back to school activities. However for those of us based in the UK the summer holidays truly begins. A month full of fun that ends with a bank holiday. Only then, do parents and kids start thinking about going back to school, buying pencil cases and checking that the school clothes fit.
Whether you are just ending or just beginning your holidays here are some August handwriting activities to keep everyone entertained.
What do you know about the month of August?
When I was researching this months handwriting things to do I was amazed to learn that August previously had another name. Originally in the Roman calendar the month of August was called Sextilis. Augustus, a Roman statesman and military leader who was the first emperor of the Roman Empire, renamed the month of Sextilis because many of his greatest triumphs occurred during this month.
If your child could rename August what would they call it and why? Perhaps they have achievements they wish to shout about too.
Alternatively, here are 9 other August handwriting ideas by date for you:
- 6th August 1926. Gertrude Ederle became the first woman to swim across the English Channel. Can your child name 4 other ways in which they can travel across the English Channel?
- 8th August 1963. A gang of robbers stole 2.6 million pounds in bank notes off an English train. This was later called the Great Train Robbery. Can you child write a list of everything they would like to buy or do if they had £2.6 million.
- 11th August 1950. Steve Wozniak (co-founder of Apple Computer) was born. Next, what invention would your child wish to be a co-founder of and why?
- 12th August 1990. On this day the most complete skeleton of a Tyrannosaurus rex was discovered in South Dakota. How many dinosaurs can your child name?
- 17th August 1970. Venera 7 is launched for Venus. It will later becomes the first spacecraft to successfully transmit from the surface of another planet. How many planets can your child name?
- 21st August 1986. Usain Bolt (sprinter) was born in Jamaica. How many words can your child make from the words Usain Bolt? Such as boat, loan etc.
- 24th August 1933. Amelia Earhart completed her flight across the United States non-stop. She was the first woman to do so. Can your child name 10 international airports
- 29th August 1885. The world’s first motorcycle was patented by Gottlieb Daimler. How many other motorcycle companies can your child name?
- 30th August 1945. British Forces liberated Hong Kong from Japan. Lastly, what does your child know about what is happening in Hong Kong today with the protestors? Could they write a news article about it?
I hope you and your child have fun completing these August handwriting ideas.