April maybe the month of April showers but it is also the month where good things are happening too. For example, the tulips are blossoming in the garden, the evenings are lighter and the Easter bunny is getting ready for visiting.
Although children are often on their ‘spring break’, as it is called in the US, or ‘Easter holidays’ in the UK handwriting activities can still be weaved into your family life. The key to improving handwriting is by keeping them fun. A child’s imagination needs engaging.
What can my child write about?
Do not worry I have been doing all the thinking for you. Here are my April handwriting ideas. By looking at historical events from April and linking them into the present day we have 7 differing ideas.
Each one will be taking no more than 5 to 10 minutes to complete. The ideas are ranging from writing a TV review, writing about Guy Fawkes to making an A to Z list of sporting teams.
Here are a few April handwriting ideas for you:
- 3rd April 1953. The first TV guide was published. Write a TV review of their favourite programme.
- 9th April 1867. United States of America bought Alaska from the Russian Empire paying $7.2 million. How many states of America can your child name? This is a good google search question to help find the answers.
- 13th April – Remember, remember the fifth of November? In 1570 Guy Fawkes was born. What does your child know about Guy Fawkes? Write one paragraph. On the other hand, they can write about what happens on the 5th November in United Kingdom.
- 17th April 1937. Daffy Duck first appeared in Porky’s Duck Hunt. How many famous animal characters can they name? It can be from a book or cartoon as well as a film.
- 21st April 753 BC. Romulus and his twin brother Remus founded Rome. How many capital cities can your child write in 30 seconds?
- 23rd April 2005. The First YouTube video was uploaded. It was titled “Me at the zoo”. Can your child write about the last thing they saw on You Tube? Make sure they describe what they liked and didn’t like about it.
- 25th April 1947. President Truman opened a two lane bowling alley in the White House. Write an A to Z list of sports. For instance, there is archery, badminton, climbing etc.
Handwriting is best improved by thinking of doing it ‘little and often’. However if it is a real rainy day your child can do all the ideas at once. Although I’m hoping for less April showers and more sunshine.
Meanwhile, I hope you and your child have fun completing these April handwriting ideas. Do post a comment below as I’d love to be reading how your child has got on with these suggestions.