1 to 1 handwriting tuition
Tailored handwriting lessons
Using the latest research in a fun and practical way. Taking place at your home or in your child’s school.
Attention parents: Give me 6 lessons and I will take your child from not knowing how to write clearly to one who enjoys writing their thoughts and ideas down.
These handwriting lessons give your child the individual support they need to excel at handwriting.
Does your child feel that ‘fixing’ their handwriting is something that is impossible? Furthermore, hearing this breaks your heart as you do not know what to do. And you are feeling at your wits end.
Do you fear people will be judging your son or daughter if as an adult they have handwriting of a child? Writing which is messy and unreadable.
Has their writing always been bad but now it is getting worse, it is practically illegible. Are the school raising this as an issue? As a result, you have been trying to talk to your child about it and now they are getting very upset.
Is their handwriting messy because they can’t see the pencil tip? In addition, they might also be saying they are becoming tired when writing.
Has your child’s school said he/she ‘will get there’? Yet you are still waiting. Finally you think it is time to take some action yourself as watching them struggle on is no longer an option.
Are you looking for a someone who can build your child’s confidence when writing? Who can also show them how to write without them being put off? Helping them achieve the handwriting clarity that you desperately know that they can do.
This is what the kids say...
And this is what the parents say...
Hi, I'm Sheilagh
BUT why learn from me?
- I’m a children’s occupational therapist with a passion and a slight fascination about all things to do with handwriting.
- I want to make it easy for EVERYONE.
- I don’t believe handwriting should be boring or repetitive.
- I know that teaching one approach to the many is not right for everyone.
- Every child is different and so are my teaching methods.
- Over the last 20 years I’ve helped many, many children.
- I’ve written two books on handwriting. One is a best seller. (‘The Early Handwriting Toolkit’)
- Oh and I’ve never met any child who I have not been able to transform their writing.
Nominated for the TES Bev Evans Resource Author of the Year 2017, and featured in
Just some of what I cover in my lessons...
- master how to sit well when writing.
- learn how to hold a pen efficiently.
- discover different types of pen or pencils to help your child’s style of writing.
- learn how to angle the paper when writing.
- discover how to write without being in pain.
- find the best handwriting style for legible handwriting.
- learn how to form individual letters.
- discover how letters are grouped into families and why this matters.
- learn how to do joined up writing.
- grasp how to excel at using the cursive handwriting style.
- master how to improve reducing letter and word spacing.
- move from writing words to sentences to writing paragraphs with ease.
- learn how to write faster.
And much, much more!
All individual 1:1 handwriting lessons happen in person either in your home or at their school. Every handwriting lesson will last for 45 minutes. The frequency is decided by you. As Mum or Dad you’ll know what is best for your child. To assist your decision, weekly sessions act as a great kick-starter to handwriting success.
In the handwriting 1 to 1 lessons all the resources are supplied meaning you do not have to do any preparation work. Current research is suggesting that the best way to improve handwriting is by working on a combination of fine motor hand skills and handwriting. This is what happens within my lessons. In addition in-between the visits handwriting ‘games’ are often left and worksheets are given for your child to continue to progress when I am not there.
This tuition is sold in lesson blocks. Occupational therapy research suggests handwriting lessons need to be anywhere from 6 to 20 sessions for changes to be made. The blocks of handwriting lessons are either 6, 8 or 10. The number is down to yourself to decide. Please do contact me first if uncertain.
Before and after examples :
So, what is included?
Face to face
A series of 6, 8 or 10 individual sessions developing your child’s handwriting skills at a pace they can excel at.
Every session lasts for 45 minutes. An extra 15 minutes time is always provided for speaking to you, as Mum or Dad, or your child’s school staff to discuss what to work on in-between my lessons.
Research has shown that handwriting can be developed through play alone. I always try to incorporate some game based learning to keep it fun.
Every session has a combination of activities. Your child will chose the order they wish to do them. It also means they never get bored.
Frequently asked questions:
Yes, I also offer a Skype service. This is where the lessons are held online between your child and myself. Ideally with you being there too. Skype is a video chat service. I use this to help teach your child handwriting as if I was sitting in a room next to them. To find out more click here.
This fluctuates but usually your child can be seen in less than 2 weeks. I offer handwriting lessons every day except Wednesdays and Sundays. At the time of paying you will receive an email from myself giving you a link to my online diary. Using this link you can book the lessons.
Each lesson costs £45. They are bought in blocks of 6, 8 or 10 lessons.
Payment is made via Paypal prior to any appointment being made.
If you need me to raise an invoice because you do not have a Paypal account contact me here.
Payment is either in full or by a monthly payment option. You can decide which one you want at the time of paying.
Each lesson lasts for 45 minutes. Any longer and I have found the children become tired. This means they are not ready to learn new information.
Every lesson is different. They are based on your child’s needs. It will usually involve playing some games to develop fine motor skills. Writing on worksheets that I provide. Instruction by myself on how to improve what has been written. I may also give homework depending on how well your child is doing.
Yes, please be in the house. I am DBS checked but I would not feel comfortable seeing your child alone. Most parents tend to sit in another room so that their child can fully concentrate. After every lesson I will give you individual feedback on how they have been doing. I will also show you the work they have completed with me.
This is for you if:
This is not for you if`:
1 to 1 handwriting tuition feesFace to face handwriting lessons
- 45 minute lesson
- Takes place at home or school
- Personalised homework to match your child's needs
- Unlimited email support with you and your school
- Summary report, if needed, that can be sent to your child's school
- Handwriting resources left with your child to try
- Combination of games based learning and handwriting tuition
Here’s what happens when you click on the button to purchase
- You’ll enter a secure checkout page asking you to pay by Paypal. If you do not have a Paypal account let me know and I can invoice you.
- Next, you should choose between booking 6, 8 or 10 lessons.
- As this is service has geographical restrictions apply. Adding travel costs happen at this time. This occurs by clicking a button based on how far away you live from Chichester.
- At the same time, you shall decide on whether you are paying in full or in 3 monthly instalments.
- Once payment has been made, you will instantly receive a confirmation and a welcome email. Your guidance notes of what to do before our first lesson are in the welcome email.
- Lastly, if we have not already spoken, then please use the online calendar link sent in the welcome email to book the times of your lessons.
All 1 to 1 handwriting tuition takes place at your home or in your child’s school. The map below provides a visual representation of where this service travels to.
Please note that at the time of paying you will be asked to add ‘shipping costs’. This is where the travel time is added. It equates to:
£10 per lesson – Under 10 miles from Chichester PO20 2FE (one-way). For example if living in Chichester, Barnham, Tangmere, Bognor, Boxgrove, Witterings or in the surrounding villages this option is selected.
£15 per lesson – Between 11 -20 miles from Chichester PO20 2FE (one-way). For example if living in east of Chichester in Arundel, Littlehampton, Rustington or Worthing you would select this travel option. If your in the west of Chichester in Havant, Emsworth, Hayling Island or Portsmouth you would select this travel option. Alternatively, if your home is in the north of Chichester in Storrington, Midhurst, Petersfield or Billingshurst you would select this travel option.
If the distance is over 25 miles from Chichester, please do contact me to obtain a bespoke travel cost.
A few more words from parents
P.S. Not sure what to do?
I totally understand that and I am happy to help. If you would rather speak to me first before booking. You can can either ping me an email. Or you can call me on 01243 252310.
My one piece of advice to you would be please act. Do something to help improve your child’s handwriting. You found my website for a reason. There are many different ways I can help.
By working together I have been able to show kids how to correctly form letters. How to join letters. How to make their work legible for an examiner to read it. And I’ve also been their “secret weapon”, to fast track their handwriting progress at school.
Handwriting difficulties do not go away. They zap the confidence and energy from children. A child very rarely “grows out of it”.
Are you ready to do something today? Book now.