1 to 1 handwriting tuition
Tailored handwriting lessons
Using the latest research in a fun and practical way. Taking place online.
Attention parents: Give me 6 lessons and I will take your child from not knowing how to write clearly to one who enjoys writing their thoughts and ideas down.
These handwriting lessons give your child the individual support they need to excel at handwriting.
Does your child feel that ‘fixing’ their handwriting is something that is impossible? Furthermore, hearing this breaks your heart as you do not know what to do. And you are feeling at your wits end.
Do you fear people will be judging your son or daughter if as an adult they have handwriting of a child? Writing which is messy and unreadable.
Has their writing always been bad but now it is getting worse, it is practically illegible. Are the school raising this as an issue? As a result, you have been trying to talk to your child about it and now they are getting very upset.
Is their handwriting messy because they can’t see the pencil tip? In addition, they might also be saying they are becoming tired when writing.
Has your child’s school said he/she ‘will get there’? Yet you are still waiting. Finally you think it is time to take some action yourself as watching them struggle on is no longer an option.
Are you looking for a someone who can build your child’s confidence when writing? Who can also show them how to write without them being put off? Helping them achieve the handwriting clarity that you desperately know that they can do.
This is what the kids say...
And this is what the parents say...
Hi, I'm Sheilagh
BUT why learn from me?
- I’m a children’s occupational therapist with a passion and a slight fascination about all things to do with handwriting.
- I want to make it easy for EVERYONE.
- I don’t believe handwriting should be boring or repetitive.
- I know that teaching one approach to the many is not right for everyone.
- Every child is different and so are my teaching methods.
- Over the last 20 years I’ve helped many, many children.
- I’ve written two books on handwriting. One is a best seller. (‘The Early Handwriting Toolkit’)
- Oh and I’ve never met any child who I have not been able to transform their writing.
Nominated for the TES Bev Evans Resource Author of the Year 2017, and featured in
Just some of what I cover in my lessons...
- master how to sit well when writing.
- learn how to hold a pen efficiently.
- discover different types of pen or pencils to help your child’s style of writing.
- learn how to angle the paper when writing.
- discover how to write without being in pain.
- find the best handwriting style for legible handwriting.
- learn how to form individual letters.
- discover how letters are grouped into families and why this matters.
- learn how to do joined up writing.
- grasp how to excel at using the cursive handwriting style.
- master how to improve reducing letter and word spacing.
- move from writing words to sentences to writing paragraphs with ease.
- learn how to write faster.
And much, much more!
All 1:1 handwriting lessons happen online. Every handwriting lesson will last for 45 minutes. The frequency is decided by you. As Mum or Dad you’ll know what is best for your child. To assist your decision, weekly sessions act as a great kick-starter to handwriting success.
This tuition is sold in lesson blocks. Occupational therapy research suggests handwriting lessons need to be anywhere from 6 to 20 sessions for changes to be made. My block of handwriting lessons are sold in 6’s. The overall number is down to yourself to decide. Some kids do well with 6 lessons and some need more. Please do contact me first if uncertain.
Before and after examples :
So, what is included?
Face to face
6 individual sessions developing your child’s handwriting skills at a pace they can excel at.
Every session lasts for 45 minutes. An extra 15 minutes time is always provided for speaking to you, as Mum or Dad, or your child’s school staff to discuss what to work on in-between my lessons.
Research has shown that handwriting can be developed through play alone. I always try to incorporate some game based learning to keep it fun.
Every session has a combination of activities. Your child will chose the order they wish to do them. It also means they never get bored.
Frequently asked questions:
This fluctuates but usually your child can be seen in less than 2 weeks. I offer handwriting lessons every day except Fridays and Sundays. At the time of paying you will receive an email from myself giving you a link to my online diary. Using this link you can book the lessons.
Each lesson costs £60. They are bought in blocks of 6 lessons.
Payment is made via Paypal prior to any appointment being made.
If you need me to raise an invoice because you do not have a Paypal account or are a school contact me here.
Payment is in full and the lessons should be used within 6 months.
Each lesson lasts for 45 minutes. Any longer and I have found the children become tired. This means they are not ready to learn new information.
Every lesson is different. They are based on your child’s needs. It will usually involve playing some games to develop fine motor skills and writing word based answers. Instruction by myself on how to improve what has been written. I may also give homework depending on how well your child is doing.
Yes please or within ear shot. I am DBS checked but I would not feel comfortable seeing your child alone. Most parents tend to sit in next to their child. After every lesson I will give you individual feedback on how they have been doing. I will also show you the work they have completed with me.
This is for you if:
This is not for you if`:
1 to 1 handwriting tuition fees
45 minute lesson
Takes place online
Personalised homework to match your child's needs
Unlimited email support with you and your school
Handwriting resources left with your child to try
Combination of games based learning and handwriting tuition
Here’s what happens when you click on the button to purchase
- You’ll be asked to book your lesson by date and time using my online calendar.
- Payment is by Paypal.
- Once payment has been made, you will instantly receive a confirmation and a welcome email. Your guidance notes of what to do before our first lesson are in the welcome email.
A few more words from parents
P.S. Not sure what to do?
I totally understand that and I am happy to help. If you would rather speak to me first before booking. You can can either ping me an email. Or you can book a discovery call where we can speak over the telephone.
My one piece of advice to you would be please act. Do something to help improve your child’s handwriting. You found my website for a reason. There are many different ways I can help.
By working together I have been able to show kids how to correctly form letters. How to join letters. How to make their work legible for an examiner to read it. And I’ve also been their “secret weapon”, to fast track their handwriting progress at school.
Handwriting difficulties do not go away. They zap the confidence and energy from children. A child very rarely “grows out of it”.
Are you ready to do something today? Book now.